Surprise - that little creature of darkness is Hermione in costume! (Bet you never would have guessed.)
I made her bat wings to fit over her regular harness. I used only common craft supplies I already owned, and the whole thing took less than half an hour. Want to know how to make your own pair?
- 3 sheets of felt, wool is best but the craft-store junk is fine
- Sewing machine OR needle and thread OR craft glue
- Your dog's harness
- Martha Stewart bat-wing template (free)
- First, print out the bat wing template.
- Trace the template on to your craft felt and cut out. You need three identical layers.
The point of using three layers is to make the wings stiff enough not to flop around. I considered trying stiffened felt instead, but 1) I would have to leave the house to go get it, and 2) the plushy look of the thicker layers is cute.
Also, I didn't have enough black (see "low on felt," above), so I used 1 piece of black and 2 pieces of orange. I actually really like the effect!
- Line the three layers up, pin together, and sew around the edges.
- Add decorative stitching.
- On to attaching the wings! Cut a small strip of felt (I used scrap from cutting the wings) which will wrap around your dog's harness.
- Glue or sew ONE end in place.
- Fold the other side of the strap around the harness and pin into place.
- Fly away!